Seasoned Minnesotans already know that our state is an exciting place to live, no matter the season. Known as The North Star State, Minnesota offers an array of beautiful experiences, with our “pine forests, tall grass prairie, rocky cliffs, hundreds of waterfalls, the “inland sea” of Lake Superior and thousands of lovely lakes.”
1. Minnesota: The Best State by Minnesotans, Second by United States Ranking
While Minnesotans believe our state is one of the best in the United States, the proof is in an earlier report, “Minnesota is the No. 2 best state in 2021 rankings.” Even though our winters are known to be harsh, it doesn’t mean you have to hibernate. Winter is one of the seasons you will love being outside. “When the winter temperatures drop, a few Minnesotans curl up by the fireplace to wait for spring.” Most of us Minnesotans play and work all year round, even when it comes to construction.
2. Winters Do Not Stop Construction in Minnesota
Construction may move a bit slower in the winter, but it’s a time when people are available to work and dedicate themselves to fewer building projects. When demand is low, that can equate to savings. Why wait until Spring when demand for labor and supplies is at its highest?
On average, a custom-built home can take up to a year. Beginning with the design and details now, you can be ready to move in next year, just in time for the winter holidays. What’s best about our Twin-City area is that we have exceptional communities, each offering their own unique characteristics, landscapes, and amenities.
3. Minnesota’s Twin-City Neighboring Communities are Excellent Sites for Custom Homes
Part of the reason our state is one of the best is our dynamic Twin Cities. Per U.S. News & World Report statistics, Minneapolis-St. Paul ranked “#27 in Best Places to Live” and “125 in Best Places to Retire.”
We’re excited to welcome newcomers, bringing exciting growth all around Minneapolis and St. Paul. And yet, other outstanding communities are a bit further away from our twin-city metropolis to build your custom-built home for a comfortable lifestyle, but close enough to enjoy all the twin-city enthusiasm. Each offers its unique Minnesotan qualities.
A. Hennepin: The Thriving County with Quality Communities around Minneapolis-St. Paul
Hennepin is the most populous county in Minnesota. Along with our state’s largest city, Minneapolis, there are city or town communities that you may want to consider in search of a place to call home, all-around 30 minutes or less away from the big city’s limits. Excellent school systems, low unemployment, and safe living are just part of the lifestyles to enjoy in these Minnesota towns on the western side of Minneapolis.
- Chanhassen is one of the premier communities to live in the twin-city area, having “the median home price is greater than $360,000.”
- Eden Prairie is a wonderfully” diverse, hardworking, and high-achieving” community, offering one of the most exceptional places to live.
- Edina has “an average house price landing upwards of $400,000.” Great schools, low employment, and surrounded with outdoor amenities and beauty.
- Excelsior “sits on the shores of the beautiful Lake Minnetonka,” mixing the charm of the old with the freshness of the new.
- Minnetonka is a “lakeside suburb” about 20 minutes from the center of Minneapolis. With its diverse community, it is the home to “Cargill and United Healthcare.”
- Plymouth is also close to downtown Minneapolis, offering an “array of outdoor recreation,” especially in the waters of three lakes: Medicine Lake, Gleason Lake, and Parker Lake.
- Robbinsdale is a lovely community with average-sized homes, “with sprawling front yards,” and minutes from downtown Minneapolis.
- Wayzata is a small suburb on the western side of Minneapolis. “Perched on Lake Minnetonka,” there are lots of “dining and shopping” experiences to enjoy close to home.
B. Dakota: A Flourishing County with Remarkable Cities and Townships Close to the Twin-City Action
Located to the southeast of Hennepin, Dakota County also offers remarkable communities to build your Minnesota custom-built home.
- Eagan is minutes south of St. Paul, and it offers “a small-town vibe” with accessibility to exciting employment in the twin cities.
- Lakeville is a southern suburban city of Minneapolis with ” an array of parks and walking paths, lakes, and playgrounds.”
- Mendota Heights is a waterside city on the banks of the Mississippi. Like Eagan and Lakeville, it offers a comfortable suburban lifestyle with excellent employment opportunities in the big cities to its north.
- Northfield is a college town that is a bit further away to the south of the Twin Cities, offering a vast outdoor lifestyle with its “35 parks,” affordable home prices, and a quality educational system.
C. Washington: A Lake-Filled County with Diverse Landscapes and Lifestyles
Heading east of Hennepin and across Ramsey County (home to St. Paul), Washington County borders Wisconsin. With its “distinct set of landscapes and resources,” the county is a growing area, prospering from its “vital industries.” You’re never far from the action of the big cities.
- Marine on St. Croix is the true small-town with the “mom-and-pop shops and restaurants,” offering a quiet lifestyle.
- Woodbury is another unique city, “featured by Family Circle as one of the best places to raise a family in the United States. With a vast network of parks and trails, residents have a lot to enjoy, not to mention “a recent $2.1-million remodel of the Bielenberg Sports Center.”
D. Wright: A Wooded County with Beautiful Terrain and Exciting Growth
Located on the northeastern corner of Hennepin County is another area experiencing exciting growth. Wright County is another area of beauty with “farmland, rivers, and lakes.”
- St. Michael is another quaint town, offering easy access to the big metropolis of Minneapolis-St. Paul and closer access to the fun recreation of the northern counties.
- Monticello is a growing suburb, offering an excellent school system and plenty of outdoor beauty all around.
E. Carver: A Healthy County in the News
South of Wright County, Carver County continues to be one of our country’s healthiest counties. Winning the rank of 11 out of 500 is a recognition to celebrate for sure.
- Waconia is a distinctive small-town well-kept secret, but the word is getting out, with year-round fun on Lake Waconia, excellent downtown shopping, and “three wineries.”
F. Anoka: A Bustling County Teeing Up with Growth
Hennepin County’s northeast corner is next to Anoka County, a bustling area where many people love to live with many things to do. It’s a golfing haven in Minnesota.
- Ham Lake is another exclusive community with “parks and lakes and the Majestic Oaks Golf Club offer residents plenty to do to stay active in the community all year long.”
4. It’s the Perfect Time to Begin Your Custom-Home Design
You can see that we have exceptional neighborhoods all around the Twin Cities to build your dream home. Even better, there are excellent communities that may not make the news.
At Greenwood Design Build, we design and build homes centered around our clients, infusing the qualities to weather every season with individual characteristics and comfort always in mind. It’s the perfect time to start your home’s customized design, and we are here to build your unique home, where you will love making memories for many years to come.