Finding the perfect place to build your custom home can be an exciting and challenging experience. Even if you’re simply looking to purchase a home that’s already built so you can have it remodeled to suit your individual needs and preferences, there is a lot to consider before you choose the right location. Fortunately, many cities in and around Minneapolis check all the boxes for homeowners looking for a safe, desirable place to call home.
To help you on your journey toward having the dream home you’ve always wanted, we’ve provided a short list of five of the best cities near Minneapolis that you may want to consider.
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Located in the southwest suburbs of Minneapolis, Eden Prairie sits on the bank of the Minnesota River. Its proximity to downtown Minneapolis makes it an ideal place to live. With a population of approximately 63,000, Eden Prairie is a close-knit community with a low unemployment rate, beautiful parks, and plenty of entertainment nearby.
Whether you enjoy spending your time outdoors, dining out at restaurants, or shopping for items to help turn your house into a home, Eden Prairie has it all. If you’re looking to build your new home in a place where you can live and enjoy the city life while experiencing all the benefits of a small-town feel, this beautiful city may be the right place for you. In Eden Prairie, there are:
- More than 37 parks
- Approximately 200 miles of multi-use trails for walking, bicycling, or jogging
- Five special use facilities and 15 conservation areas
- Over 2,200 restaurants for dining, spending time with family, or grabbing a drink with friends
- Plenty of retail shops, grocery stores, and local businesses
- One of the best public school systems in the state
Resting on the shore of historic Lake Waconia, the city of Waconia, Minnesota is located in Carver County about 25 miles southwest of Minneapolis. With approximately 12,000 residents, this city only takes up 4.39 square miles of space. However, residents of this small city take full advantage of the suburban lifestyle that includes a vast selection of recreational opportunities, dining establishments, and lots of shopping.
Another great advantage to living in Waconia is that the town takes pride in hosting events like the Nickle Dickle Days in mid-September that attracts people from other communities to the area. If you’re looking for a community where you can build relationships with nearby friends and neighbors, Waconia is a place you should consider. Some advantages of living in Waconia include:
- Four large parks for recreation
- More than 200 acres of natural space for relaxing in the outdoors
- Multiple specialty shops, restaurants, and local businesses
- An exceptional school system with a student to teacher ratio of 18:1
- A small-town atmosphere with plenty of big-city amenities nearby
- A new 72-acre Crossing Waters subdivision perfect for building your custom home
Golden Valley, Minnesota
Rated by Niche.com as “One of the best places to live in Minnesota.”, Golden Valley has a lot to offer its 21,520 residents. The medium-sized city is located in Hennepin County, just 12 minutes from Minneapolis and offers a wide variety of nature, entertainment, and culture. Potential residents looking to build a custom home on a spacious lot should put Golden Valley on their list of top choices to live. With a wide selection of available land, this city continues to thrive as an ideal place for both individuals and families to settle. When you move to Golden Valley, you can expect to enjoy:
- Lots of sports and recreation
- Beautifully landscaped communities perfect for building your new custom home
- An exceptional public school system and a variety of private school options
- Several parks and nature areas, including Chain of Lakes and the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
More than simply a city near Minneapolis, Shakopee, Minnesota has a long history dating back 2,000 years with Native American settlements. Now home to approximately 40,893 residents, this one-of-a-kind community has a lot to offer. Whether you’re looking to purchase a home to remodel to your specifications or hoping to custom-build a new home, Shakopee is a great place to live. Beautiful parks, a high median income, and entertainment for residents of all ages are only a few of the many reasons to consider making Shakopee your home. Additional advantages to living in Shakopee include:
- Low unemployment rate
- Short commute to Minneapolis
- A diverse public school system with a graduation rate that is 90% higher than the national average
- Several amazing parks and a National Wildlife Refuge that spans over 14,000 acres
- Entertainment venues like the Valleyfair Amusement Park
The city of Edina is located only a few miles from downtown Minneapolis and about 10 miles from St. Paul, which makes it an ideal place to live for residents who need to commute to the Twin Cities for work. This mid-size city is home to about 50,000 residents but continues to grow as more people learn about the wonderful ways in which Edina is a great place to live. If you’re thinking about moving to Edina, you may be pleased to learn that this highly desirable community is home to:
- The largest indoor play park in Minnesota
- 12 outdoor skating rinks
- Four golf courses, two driving ranges, and the Minnesota Golf Association Headquarters
- 19 parks including Centennial Lakes Park and Weber Park
- A highly rated public school system
- Several desirable neighborhoods perfect for building a custom home or buying and remodeling to your liking
Custom Home and Remodel Options in the Twin Cities
Although there are plenty of houses to buy in and around the Twin Cities, potential homeowners should consider a custom-built home or buying a home to have it remodeled to their liking. In addition to having more options when it comes to location and price, building a new home or remodeling a house is the best way to ensure you get a home that meets all of your needs and fits your individual style.
At GreenWood Design Build, we can help you get the home you’ve always wanted in your ideal location. If you’re looking for a new home and want to know what options are available, please contact us today.