What Is Shakopee, Minnesota All About?
Shakopee, Minnesota, offers the best of both worlds for property buyers. On the one hand, it’s just a drive away from downtown Minneapolis, making this suburb a convenient location for anyone who desires proximity to the metropolitan area. On the other hand, Shakopee offers a cozy hometown feel that makes it an ideal location for raising a family, enjoying your weekends, and relaxing at the end of a long day.
With a long and storied history dating back 2,000 years with Native American settlements, Shakopee is now home to around 40,893 residents and 12,889 households. If you’re currently looking to buy and remodel a home in Shakopee — or custom-build your dream home — you’re in luck. This small town with urban proximity checks all the boxes.
Shakopee, Minnesota: Stats & Facts
According to Niche.com, Shakopee is “one of the best places to live in Minnesota.” Depending on what you’re looking for, there are many reasons for this high praise. First of all, it’s the perfect place for families and young professionals. Families love the suburban, cozy feel of the city, while many young professionals enjoy the easy, 30-minute commute to Minneapolis for work. However, you don’t necessarily have to leave Shakopee for work — 30% of Shakopee’s residents live in the city itself. Let’s take a closer look at what makes this city stand out:
- Safety. Shakopee is very safe, with far lower than the national rates for crimes like assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft.
- Median income. The national median income is $55,322, compared to a high $84,400 in Shakopee.
- Population density. With a low population density of 1,469 people per square mile, there’s plenty of room to remodel or build your dream house in Shakopee.
- Unemployment. Shakopee has a very low unemployment rating, with 2018 statistics putting it at only 1.90% (compared to the national average of 3.9%.)
- Commute. The mean commute time to work for a Shakopee resident is a low 22.2 minutes
When it comes to buying a pre-existing home or building your own home, it’s important to get a quick glimpse of the real estate market in the area:
- Median home price – $250,000.
- Average property tax with mortgage – $2,900.
- Housing units – there are 13,339 housing units currently in Shakopee.
Education & Schools
If you’re raising a family in Shakopee, Minnesota, you’ll be sending your children to highly rated schools. The Shakopee Public School District is very diverse, with over 40 languages spoken. All together, the district serves 8,000 children and includes an early childhood center, several elementary schools, two middle schools, and one high school.
For those considering private school, Shakopee is also home to a Catholic school for pre-K through 8th grade, and a Lutheran school for pre-K till 4th grade students. The SouthWest Metro Educational Cooperative offers GED training, career coaching, and college prep.
Among people 25 and older living in Shakopee, 92.5% have achieved high school graduation, which is higher than the national average of 90%. With solid schools, a tight community, and plenty of nearby opportunities, Shakopee is a great place to raise a family.
Fun, Entertainment, and Culture
Despite your proximity to Minneapolis, you may find yourself spending much of your time enjoying the fine dining, entertainment, and culture that characterizes Shakopee. Check out a brewery, shop at one of the many local shops in Shakopee, and get a taste of history at The Landing — Minnesota River Heritage Park. With its variety of trails, parks, and wilderness areas, Shakopee also offers outdoor beauty to nature enthusiasts. Let’s take a look at some of Shakopee’s highlights:
- Amazing park system. Throughout Shakopee, there are 920 acres of parks and open space for your and your family’s enjoyment. With over 60 miles of walking and bicycling trails and many parks geared towards families, there’s no shortage of outdoor enjoyment in Shakopee.
- Valleyfair Amusement Park. As the largest amusement park in the Upper Midwest, Valleyfair offers rides and waterparks for endless summer fun.
- Canterbury Park. Shakopee is home to Canterbury Park, a casino and horse racing venue that brings visitors from miles around to join in the fun. It’s also the site for a ton of festivals, tournaments, and concerts you won’t want to miss.
- National Wildlife Refuge. Comprised of 14,000 acres and stretching from Bloomington to Henderson, Minnesota, this wildlife site offers a refuge into the great outdoors — and a glimpse into the diverse plant and animal life of the area.
Remodeling or Building a Custom Home in Shakopee
Beautiful parks, high median income, entertainment for all – it’s clear Shakopee is an enticing option for many home buyers. If you’re considering a move to Shakopee, it’s always an option to buy a pre-existing home. However, many homeowners find that there are some serious perks to remodeling a home or building a home in Shakopee:
Customized Flow for Your Home
If you’ve been touring homes, you know that there are a bunch of houses out there that don’t resonate with your lifestyle, flow, or routine. When it comes to living in your dream home, remodeling an existing home or building one from scratch is a great way to get a customized space that works perfectly for your family. Love an open floor plan? Want a light-filled living room? Want a huge kitchen? These are all options when you have a hand in designing your home.
Maintain Flexibility with Neighborhoods
In rare cases, you may find the perfect home in the perfect neighborhood. In most cases, however, you’ll need to have a little more flexibility throughout the process. For example, say you’ve fallen in love with a neighborhood — it feels safe, inviting, and looks beautiful. However, you’re less impressed with the houses. In that case, you can feel empowered to buy a less-than-perfect house in a perfect neighborhood, and simply put money into renovating.
Increase your Home Value
Over the past year, Shakopee home values have gone up 5.1%. According to Zillow, they’re projected to rise another 5.8% over the next year. By making your move to purchase property or a home now, you’re setting yourself up to own a home in a market that seems is appreciating in value. And even if you plan on living in your custom-built or remodeled home for many years, it’s still a good feeling to know that you’ll be raising your home’s value with any remodeling projects.
Your Perfect Home in Shakopee, Minnesota Is Just A Call Away
Shakopee checks a lot of boxes for home buyers: proximity to a major metropolitan area, safe living, great schools, and year-round entertainment. If you’re eager to get started building or remodeling your dream home, reach out to us at Green Wood. We design and create homes that are modeled to perfectly fit your lifestyle — and we’re happy to make your vision a reality.